The Village of Woodridge had multiple challenges with maintaining their meter inventory and updating meter information on utility accounts. The entire process was time consuming and manual requiring an average of 150 hours of staff time, nearly 4 weeks, per year to maintain the multiple systems.
Meter information for the Village’s 9,800 meters was recorded and updated in three separate systems by different staff members resulting in a triplication of work effort and posed a risk of error. When meters were moved from inventory to active use on accounts, a two part form was used by field workers to handwrite the meter and read information. The meter information was then recorded in the utility billing program by the Finance Department staff which required manual entry and posed a risk of error from interpretation of the handwritten information. Public Works staff also had the challenge of maintaining the active system as there was a risk for misfiling information or duplicate active meter records for a single account.
Baecore Group met with the Utility Billing and Public Works teams to identify all of their existing processes for managing meter inventory, tracking meters in use, installing new meters and exchanging meters on existing accounts. Based on the high level of manual effort required and the need for multiple departments to use and rely on the meter information, Baecore identified areas within the utility billing system to complete the tracking and use of meters incorporating automation available within the system.
Baecore developed processes that consolidated the information into a single system, eliminated the duplicate entry and automated the process for creating work orders, meter exchanges, installations, and updating the utility account.
- Identified and eliminated discrepancies in existing meter information.
- Consolidated meter information into a single system.
- Implemented an import to automatically enter new meter information.
- Designed a process to automatically create service orders that include meter information
- Setup automation to update meter inventory and utility account information for new or exchanged meters
RESULTS - Work Reduction 107 hrs/yr - 2.7 weeks of personnel time saved
- Eliminated 40 hours per year of manual entry of new meters
- Eliminated 5 manual processes to record a "change out" or installation of a new meter on the utility account and meter inventory
- Saved 67 hours per year of staff time spent updating meter inventory and utility account meter information
684 S. Barrington Road
Streamwood, Il 60107
About Baecore Group
Our personnel are local government specialists. We are dedicated professionals that can bring knowledge, experience, and perspective gained from working exclusively in the public sector across a variety of organizations and throughout all departments.
Purchasing & Requisitions
Permits & Planning
Payroll & Benefits
Software Selection & RFPs